Threads of Tradition
Events | Current
Sampler | Guilds | Quilt
Show | Challenge
Show...Exhibition & Special Exhibit & Workshops | Hours
Threads of Tradition, the Quilt Shop at Historic Sauder Village, celebrates the rich heritage of quilting that has
been handed down to us and actively encourages the growth and development of this heritage art form. Our
shop features over 3000 square feet of space devoted to displaying many quilt
models, kits and everything needed to make the quilt of your dreams. Stop in for
a visit with our staff and to see what's new... we are always glad to
Browse through our classroom to see the teachers' models of current classes or
chat with our volunteer quilters who demonstrate hand-quilting skills most weekdays during the Historic Village season. Although Threads of Tradition is located inside the Historic Village there is never a fee to shop. Simply request a shoppers pass at the Admissions Desk and come out to visit us!
Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is always available to assist the quilt enthusiast in making selections from over 3500 bolts of top quality cotton fabric, which covers the full spectrum of, reproductions, Woolies flannel, baby and children’s fabrics, novelties, Stonehenge, contemporary, Cuddle, hand dyed wool and batiks. We also carry a large and ever-changing variety of books, patterns, notions and gift items including handbags by Stephanie Dawn.
Back to Top
Sauder Village Classes...
are available for beginners as well as accomplished quilters. Eleven
different teachers provide learning experiences in a large variety of
quilting skills. Call or e-mail us to have your name added to our mailing
list and check our website often for details. Click here for a current class listing.
Our teachers often wish that they knew
what you most want to learn. So, if you see something in the shop or
have a particular quilting skill that you really want to learn, talk
to your quilting friends, gather together a group of at least four
people and we will attempt to set up a class for you as soon as
possible! Take us up on this opportunity to create the class that
you would like to see us offer!
Back to Top
Quilting Retreats at
Join fellow Quilters as you work on your choice of quilting project, share tips and enjoy a common hobby together.
Quilter’s Fall Weekday Retreat...
September 30 - October 2, 2014
Quilter’s Fall Weekend Retreat... October 3-5, 2014
Quilter’s Winter Weekend Retreat...
January 16-18, 2015
Click here for more information and to Register!
Back to Top
monthly e-mail newsletter... Be
the first to
know about exciting new arrivals in the Quilt Shop as well as get updates on the
latest events at Threads of Tradition! We now offer a newsletter via e-mail to
keep our customers in touch with everything that is happening here. If you would
enjoy receiving this information on a regular basis, please complete the
Current Threads Sign-Up Form and submit. We will
gladly send you all the latest news! To see past issues, click below on the
Current Threads newsletter...
Previous CT newsletters... April 2014 |February 2014 | January Announcement 2014 | November 2013 | October 2013 | September 2013 | August 2013 | July 2013 | June 2013 | April/May 2013 | March 2013 | February 2013 | January 2013 |
Back to Top
Saturday Sampler 2014...
Saturday Sampler will begin on January 11, 2014 and continue for twelve months, ending in December 2014. The fabric choices will be Modern, Reproduction and Christmas.
Here's How It Works:
- At 8:00 and 9:00 a.m. on the second Saturday of each month we will introduce that month’s block and give a short demonstration of a technique or tool that can be used to make that block. These sessions will be identical, attend only one.
- The first time you attend a Saturday Sampler demonstration, you buy a fabric kit for $5.00. It contains the fabric for one block in the colorway you have chosen.
- Go home and sew the 12” block. Bring it with you to the following month’s Saturday Sampler demonstration and you will get your next fabric kit free!
There are a Few Conditions:
- Each participant will need to have a copy of the book Memories of Christmas Past by Betsey Langford and Carolyn Nixon. Books are $25.95 and can be ordered from Threads of Tradition when you register for Saturday Sampler.
- If you want to make blocks in more than one colorway, that’s great! But you only get one free kit per month. You must pay for the additional ones.
- To receive your free kit, you must either attend the demonstration on the second Saturday at either 8:00 or 9:00 a.m. OR bring your completed block into the shop anytime in the week following Saturday Sampler - up to and including the third Saturday of the month.
- If you cannot come in during Saturday Sampler week, you can still buy that month’s kit for $5.00 while supplies last. Bring that finished block into the shop anytime during the following month’s Saturday Sampler week and your next kit is free.
Each Month We Give Away a Door Prize:
- Every month you will have an opportunity to make the challenge blocks to be eligible for the door prize. Only those persons who attend a session and complete the extra challenge will be eligible for the door prize drawing.
- You can make the quilt as pictured in the book Memories of Christmas Past or, if you would like to work on your own creative setting for your sampler quilt; the extra blocks for the door prize can be blocks you plan to use in your finished quilt or can be in a different color for a second quilt.
- During the last six years, we have never needed to cancel Saturday Sampler due to weather. Since you have the option of bringing your completed block into the shop any time during the week following Saturday Sampler, we will not cancel unless the roads are impossible for us to get here. If you feel the weather is too bad to travel, please stay home on Saturday Sampler day and visit us on the day of your choice in the following week. If we do decide to cancel due to extreme weather, we will not try to reschedule, but will postpone that month’s lesson until the next month. If you need to know if the class is cancelled, you may call 800-590-9755 6:30 a.m. and the receptionist will know if Saturday Sampler has been cancelled.
Back to Top
Threads of Tradition is also home to The Village Quilters, a local guild that meets on the first Monday of every month
here at Sauder Village at 7:00 PM. Whether your skill level is beginner,
intermediate or more experienced, everyone is welcome. Please contact Debbi Russell for more information at
419.446.2541 or email her at email@example.com.
Guild Retreats... Sauder Village is the
perfect location to hold your next guild retreat. Our Heritage Inn is known for
it's comfortable, spacious room and attention to detail. Classroom space is
available at the Inn and our Barn Restaurant is just a few steps away. And of
course, Threads of Tradition would be delighted to provide a fun shopping
experience when you need a break from sewing or just need to re-charge your
creativity. Call group reservations at 800.590.9755 to schedule your next
Back to Top
39th Annual Quilt
Tuesday, April 28 –
More information about our 2015 Quilt show, special
exhibits, workshops, etc... along with forms for entering quilts in the show will be available early 2015.
Our Featured Guest Artist is Bill Kerr, full-time professional quilt-maker and co-founder of Modern Quilt Studio. In addition to creating innovative, museum-quality quilts Bill also teaches design at Dominican University. He and his wife, Weeks Ringle live in Oak Park, Illinois and are the authors of numerous books and their patterns are often featured in American Patchwork & Quilting magazine.
Back to Top
Quilt Shop Hours...
Winter Hours (Nov-Apr)...
Mon.-Sat. 10:00 am-5:00 pm;
Summer Hours (May-Oct)... Mon.-Sat. 10:00 am-5:00 pm; Sunday 12:00-4:00 pm
Location: At Historic Sauder Village
22611 St. Rt. 2,
P.O. Box 235
Archbold, OH 43502
Phone: 800.590.9755 or 419.445.9610